When you think of Lake Como, what do you see? Boat rides down a beautifully blue lake? George Clooney’s villa? That sparkling floating pool with orange and white umbrellas you always see in photos?
That floating pool belongs to Grand Hotel Tremezzo in Lake Como, and it is an exquisite place to stay while you are exploring the gorgeous area of Lake Como. Read on for an in-depth review of our stay to see if the Grand is the hotel for you on your next Lake Como trip.
Grand Hotel Tremezzo is located on the shores of a little town called Tremezzo, directly across the lake from Bellagio. You’ll find Villa Carlotta (a botanical garden and museum) a four minute walk away, as well as two ferry stops (for Villa Carlotta and Tremezzo) a two or four minute walk away, respectively, so you can easily get to where you need to go if you choose to explore Tremezzo and neighboring towns around the lake.
Grand Hotel Tremezzo is indeed grand. It gives off vibes reminiscent of the movie The Grand Budapest Hotel, and the grounds are gorgeous. There are three pools – one of which is that gorgeous floating pool you see in photos, a few places to dine, a private beach, and luxurious rooms to stay in.
There are multiple ways to get to the Grand Hotel Tremezzo, making it easy to reach. The hotel is located about 80 km (50 miles) away from Milan’s airports MXP and LIN so you can drive, or take the train from Milan to Como, and hop on the ferry to Tremezzo. The hotel can also arrange car transfers for you (either from Milan or the Como train station).
Grand Hotel Tremezzo offers a mix of park view and lake view rooms (they’re offered as ‘prestige’ or ‘deluxe’ rooms – more on that later), as well as suites, rooftop suites, and a villa to rent.
If you’re just looking at the rooms and want a stunning view of the lake, make sure to book the Lake View rooms.
We had booked one night in the Park View Prestige Room, and another night in the Lake View Prestige Room. On arrival, we were lucky enough to have both rooms upgraded so we got to spend a night in both the Lake View Prestige Room and the Lake View View Deluxe room.
Both these Lake View Prestige and Deluxe rooms obviously offered gorgeous lake views, but had a few differences (aside from price):
- Lake View Prestige: rooms located in the middle of the Grand, have balconies with views of the lake, and have king or twin beds
- Lake View Deluxe: are the corner rooms of the Grand building (so there are more floor-to-ceiling windows), and also have a balcony with views of the lake, and have king or twin beds
The Deluxe rooms is a little bit larger than the Prestige, and that square footage is stretched across the whole room – the bathrooms have double sinks vs one sink in the Prestige, and there’s a bit more space for lounging in the main room. Both types of rooms are absolutely gorgeous so you really can’t go wrong, but if you’re looking for a bit more space and windows, choose the Deluxe.
General booking room tip: When placing your reservation, ask for a room on a higher floor if available. This will help give you those gorgeous views, and you’ll be farther from street traffic.
Breakfast at the hotel is a must. Not only because it’s included in your stay, but because the offerings are delicious and the seating with a view of the lake can’t be beat.
Breakfast is set up like a buffet in what seems like a vast ballroom, and you’ll find hotel staff on hand ready to help serve you whatever you’d like from the buffet.
As far as the actual food goes, there’s a wide variety to choose from. There are multiples kinds of local cheeses and meats, as well as hard- and soft-boiled eggs options (as in you can choose from a 3-minute boiled egg, or a 6- or 9- minute boiled egg). You’ll also find different types of pastries, breads, cookies, fruit, and chocolates.
There are a total of five bars/restaurants that you can dine at on the property, all offering a range of food:
- T Pizza: This is located behind the property, next to the Flower Pool and offers a few appetizers, salads and, of course, pizzas.
- T Bar: For a casual bite to eat, head over to T Bar which offers lunch and dinner on the terrace with a view of the lake.
- Giacomo al Lago: This is the lakeside restaurant located in the midst of The Grand’s private beach and next to the floating pool. Food here was delicious (and my favorite out of the three places we tried on the property including T Bar and L’Escale). Get an aperol spritz, a bite to eat and take in the sunshine.
- L’Escale Trattoria and Wine Bar: We had a lackluster experience here – both with the service and food. Could’ve been an off night, but I would recommend eating at the other restaurants on the property rather than at L’Escale.
- La Terrazza Gualtiero Marchesi: For fine dining on the property, make sure to go here and make a reservation in advance. (We unfortunately didn’t get to have a meal here as we didn’t have a reservation). This restaurant serves up some of late chef Marchesi’s signature dishes, including his famous saffron risotto topped with a 23-karat gold leaf.
You can easily spend a day exploring the grounds of the Grand Hotel Tremezzo itself – from the three pools, the private beach, the spa, the gardens, and the tennis court.
If you’re in search of something more, the concierge team will happily set up excursions for you (including cooking classes, walks and more).
We booked a boat tour through them to explore Lake Como by boat and highly recommend! The Grand offers two Venetian motor boats so be sure to book a tour via one of these boats in advance (especially in high season). You can choose whether to go north up the lake, or south down the lake. We went South (since we had gone North via the ferry earlier that day). Going South of the lake takes you by multiple villas (including George Clooney’s, and the villa where they filmed an episode of Succession), and the picture-perfect waterfall in Nesso.
Grand Hotel Tremezzo is a great place to stay in Lake Como if you’re looking to splurge on the ultimate luxury. Book the lake view rooms if you can, on a higher floor, to enjoy the grandeur of Lake Como and its gorgeous views.
You can also find more content and videos from our trip to Lake Como and Grand Hotel Tremezzo on Instagram.
Are you making plans to visit Lake Como this year? Let me know in the comments, or share your favorite hotels in Lake Como!
Save this post for later on Pinterest: